Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Book of Romans

I am continuing in my afternoon Bible study of the Book of Romans and listening to commentary by Dr. Chuck Missler.  Click here to listen to audio.  I'm currently in Romans 4, if you care to read the verses that accompany these notes.

These are my notes from today:
God HATES your trust in good works (as your basis for salvation) because you thus neglect all that God is, all that He has done, and His plans and desires for you!  All that God is, all that He has done, and His plans and desires for you are based on Him, not you!  Trying to add to God's work is ingratitude!

What did it cost God to give Christ?

What did it cost Christ to put away your sin?  That cost Him, it didn't come free!

When you sin next (when, not if, none of us are perfect), think about what Jesus had to go through to pay for that sin, to pay for each and every one of your sins!

We refrain from sin, not because of the law, but for what it cost Christ, out of our love for Him.  Did you know He still bears the marks?  (See John 20:24-29)  That's why we need to grieve over sin, because it cost Him, more than we can every fully realize!

We need to come to Him on His terms, not ours.  We can't come to Him and say we're better than Joe or Jane or with a list of our deeds--I go to church and I give money and I read my Bible, etc.

We are ONLY justified by the work that God did, we need only to believe!  Then our actions should demonstrate our love and and faith in Him!

No comments: