Thursday, October 7, 2010

Say the Same Thing

Hebrews 4:14-16
Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Mixture of KJV & NKJV)

I want to focus on the word profession, in this passage. In the Greek, it is the word homologia, which comes from homologeo. It literally means same word (logeo is word, homo is same). It means to say the same thing.

You see, Jesus is our High Priest, that means He is our intercessor. An intercessor is someone that is a mediator. A mediator is a go-between. Jesus is between us and God. He is interceding on our behalf, to God the Father. Just like the priests of the Old Testament, would go to God on behalf of the people. The difference, now, in the New Covenant, is that we are actually in Christ, He is in us, we have a union with Him, and so we are able to go boldly before the throne, too. But He is there, praying for you. He is telling the Father what He has done on your behalf.

We need to hold fast our profession. We need to say the same thing about ourselves that Jesus is saying about us. What is Jesus saying about us? Well, John 1 tells us that Jesus is the Word made flesh, so the Word of God is the Word of Jesus. Pick a scripture, any scripture, He is saying that about you.

When we contradict what the Word says about us, we are contradicting Jesus, our High
Priest. It's like being in a courtroom as the defendant. Jesus is our defense attorney. God the Father is the judge. Satan is the accuser. Satan tries to accuse us of all sorts of things, he tries to accuse us of sin. Jesus says, "I have given them My righteousness." When we say anything different, we are disagreeing with our attorney. In our world, we know that is unwise. We need to use that wisdom in the spiritual world, as well. Get in agreement with your attorney. Find out what He is saying to the judge. Start saying those same things about yourself. That is the only way we can get the help we need, the mercy and grace mentioned in the latter part of the passage.

Here are some good references:
II Corinthians 5:17 - I have been created a new creature in Christ Jesus, old things have passed away, behold, all things are new.
Romans 3:22 - I have the righteousness of God, through faith in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:11 - The Holy Spirit dwells in me, and He gives life to my mortal body, just as He raised Christ from the dead.
I Peter 2:24 - By Jesus' stripes, I was healed.
Ephesians 4:24 - My spirit has been recreated in true righteousness and holiness.
Romans 12:2 - I will not copy the behavior and customs of this world, but I will let God transform me (my soul/mind) into a new person, by changing the way I think. Then I will learn to know what God wants me to do. (taken from NLT)
Ephesians 2:8-10 - It is by grace that I have been saved, through faith, and that is not of myself; it is a gift of God, it is not by anything I have done, so that I cannot boast. I am God's workmanship, His special creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God has already prepared for me.
Philippians 1:6 - I am confident of this, that God has begun a good work in me and will not stop working on me until Christ returns, then it will be complete (this is referring to your soul, it's called sanctification).
Philippians 4:11-13 - In whatever state I am in, I have learned to be content; I know how to live humbly and I know how to live in prosperity. I can do all things (everything God has called me to) through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:6-7 - I will be anxious for nothing, I will make my requests known to God, and His peace, that is so great I cannot even understand it, will guard my heart and mind through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19 - My God supplies all my needs, according to His riches in glory, by Christ Jesus (this speaks not only to material needs, but help to avoid temptation, our need of redemption, healing, and more).
Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Romans 8:1 - I cannot be condemned because I am in Christ, He was condemned and paid the penalty for me.
I Corinthians 3:16 - My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, His Spirit dwells in me.
Romans 8:31 - God is on my side, no one can be against me.
Romans 8:28 - I know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:37 - I am more than a conqueror through Him who loves me.
Romans 8:38-39 - Nothing can separate me from the love of God.

And there are so many more. These are coming to me almost faster than I can type them. That is what happens when you fill your heart with God's Word. His Holy Spirit will bring it back to your mind, when you need it most. So dig in and start filling your heart and mind. Find more of God's promises and add them to this list. Write these out, print them out. Post them where you will see them most, on the refrigerator, on the bathroom mirror, etc. Start to say these things about yourself, because that is what Jesus is saying about you, right now, up in heaven, before the throne of God!

No comments: