Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thought Life

I have been thinking about my thought life a lot lately and how I think it needs cleaned up a bit.

At my homeschool group mom's meeting in November we had a guest speaker, a missionary originally from her, but currently living in Indonesia.  She was really great to listen to.  She told us to go home and read Romans 8 and see what needed cleaned out of our "though closets", thoughts that don't line up with God's Word.  

I feel that lately my "thought closet" needs organized!  If I go into my thought closet to wear a black t-shirt and jeans, the red shirt is jumping out of the closet, yelling, "wear me, wear me!"  Or sometimes, 5 outfits at a time are jumping out of the closet saying, "Pick me, pick me!"  

Basically I feel like what ever I'm doing, my mind is on other things.  Maybe I'm the only one with these issues.  :)  I think I need to be more deliberate in my thoughts and focus my mind on whatever task is at hand.

So with this in mind, I went to bed the other night and wanted something quick to read.  I looked up the scripture that talks about bringing your thoughts into captivity.  I found it, it is in II Corinthians 10.  I read the whole chapter and many good things stuck out to me.

Verse 3 - we must always remember the battle is spiritual and we can only resist the devil with the Word! (James 4:7 & Ephesians 6:10-18)

Verse 4 - our weapon (the Word) is MIGHTY for pulling down strongholds!

Verse 5 - bringing every thought into captivity to the OBEDIENCE of Christ - this one got me - ouch!  Is it obedience to Christ to be so scatter-brained?

Verse 7 - we are Christ's!  We cannot focus on the external, but the internal and on the things of God.

Verse 12 - this one has been a favorite of mine for a while - it is not wise to compare yourself with others (I call this a trap, many get caught in it and let it rule their lives).

Verse 17 - we must not every forget - God wants ALL the glory!

Then I looked up in my concordance some other "thought" verses.  I came up with Psalm 139 and Psalm 40.

Psalm 139 tells us how God knows us inside and out, for He is the one who made us.  Verses 17 and 18 stuck out to me, they say, "How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!  How great is the sum of them!  If I should count them, they would be MORE in number than the sand;"  (Emphasis mine.)

Did you know God is thinking about you?  And thinking precious thoughts?  So many that they can't be numbered?  That's got to make you feel good!

Psalm 40 has a theme of God always being there for us, especially in times of trial.  But verse 5 tells us again that God's thoughts toward us cannot be numbered!

No comments: