Saturday, May 9, 2009

Who Are You?

Last month I issued a challenge, you can read more here.  Part of that challenge was to write down what you believe about yourself.  What does the Bible say about you?


I did some study and came up with these 15 things.  I know there are more to be found, but 15 was a nice number to cover with my son.  I think we studied these over a 3 or 4 week period.  I used this opportunity to cover who we are, but also where we came from, a catechism of sorts.  I wanted to include some fundamentals of doctrine in this list.  I also wanted to start from scratch with this list.  I made a list of things I believed, but only kept the ones that I could find scriptural basis for.

Who Am I?
I was created by God, in His image.
Genesis 1:26-31
I am a spirit, I have a soul, and I live in a body.
Genesis 2:7, Job 32:8
I was born a sinner.
Romans 3:23
I have been redeemed by the blood of Jesus.
Ephesians 2:1-13
I am a new creation.
II Corinthians 5:17
I am more than a conqueror.
Romans 8:37
I am a child of God.
Romans 8:14-16
I am a joint heir with Christ.
Romans 8:17
I am seated together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:6
I am dead to sin and alive in Christ.
Colossians 3:1-17, Romans 5:12-21, Romans 6, Galatians 2:20
I am an overcomer.
I John 5:4-5
I am an alien (you could also say stranger or foreigner) of this earth.  (My son is partial to aliens, so he chose to use the word alien in this list.)
Psalm 119:19, Philippians 3:20
I am an ambassador for Christ.
II Corinthians 5:20, Ephesians 6:20
I am part of the Body of Christ.
I Corinthians 12:12-31, Ephesians 1:22-23
I am a person with unique God-given gifts and talents.
Matthew 25:14-30, Ephesians 4:7-8, I Peter 4:10, I Timothy 4:14, II Timothy 1:18

This started as a way to teach my son some fundamentals, and I took for granted these beliefs that I held, but I cannot tell you how good this study has been for me.  I believe that seeds have been planted in both my children (9 & 3) through this study, but I have experienced revelation, breakthrough, and victory in my life as a result.  I went from comprehending to apprehending these truths.  See Ephesians 3:18, the verb comprehend, in the Greek, is also translated apprehend, meaning to lay hold of so as to make one's own.  These truths became my own.  It is when the truth of God's Word comes alive to you that it's power works in your life!

Next, we will study why we are here on this earth.

If you would like to read some of what I believe about God, see my earlier articles here, here, and here.

No comments: