Thursday, October 15, 2009

Battles

I experienced a victory recently with healing (as mentioned here and here). My first inclination was to start telling others that they needed to do X, Y, and Z, just like I did. I do think that would help a few, but I now realize the answer is not the same for everyone. There isn't a formula. What matters is that we obey whatever it is the Lord is directing us to do. Obedience is the key.

First comes revelation, then obedience, then breakthrough/victory.

I finished the Bible in 90 Days reading program and then started up on a different schedule of reading through the Bible. I'm reading one chapter from eight different sections each day (I'll detail that in a later post). One of the sections I read are the historical books, Joshua through Esther.

It was when I got up to Joshua chapter 12 I noticed something very interesting. I think sometimes it's important to step back and look at things from a wider angle. At about chapter 12, we are given a summary of the battles and kings conquered by Israel. The previous chapters were giving the details. I noticed that a lot of kings were listed, but there were only three stories of battles that I had read. So I looked back through the book. I realized that detail is given for three battles and the rest are breezed through.

Why are we given details on three battles, but not the rest? Why are these three significant?

I wanted to know. So, I went back and read through them again. Joshua 6-10.

I really think they are there to give us examples. Each example is different, each of our battles will be different and require different action. There won't be a formula, obedience is what matters.

God fights the battles for us anyway, so He gets all the glory. We have an extremely minor part to play.

God could be asking you to do something that sounds very strange, as weird as marching around a city wall (Jericho). He may want you to march around that wall for six days and then on the seventh, blow trumpets. (Remember He uses the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. I Corinthians 1:27) He will bring the wall down.

He could be asking you to seek out sin in your life that has left the door wide open for the enemy (Ai--Achan).

He could be asking you to command the sun to stand still (or command that mountain to be removed and be cast into the sea--Mark 11:23-24) (Gibeon).

Whatever it is, obedience is your part to play. He will fight the battle for you and bring the victory!

No comments: