Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Book Review: Not So Fast


I've seen this book recommended several places lately, but when a friend recommended it, I checked it out. I didn't even feel like I would fit the intended audience, but I like to read books that might help my friends. It never seems to fail, though, that every time I read something with someone else in mind, I'm the one that learns valuable lessons.

I will admit that I proudly felt that I didn't really need this book. I don't fit into the category of families that are running non-stop, children in loads of activities. In fact, I have purposely taken a step back each school year, purposely slowing down and doing less and less. I tell all my friends that they will have a more peaceful life if they will cut back on activities.

I homeschool my two children (10 and 4) and, as such, have field trips and extra-curricular classes. There are so many tempting options, karate, gymnastics, art, music lessons, museums, sports, co-op classes available in our local homeschool group (things like book discussion, composition, biology, latin, drama, etc.), and much more.

When I first started homeschooling my son, he was in kindergarten. We pulled him out of the private school he was attending after about six weeks. In those six weeks, he had become accustomed to the daily social interaction with the 20 other kids in his class. Not to mention, the daily crafts, playground time, etc. He wanted to come home, but once he did, he realized life at home was different, not quite so stimulating. It was an adjustment and I scrambled to offer him a variety of activities. So we jumped on the band-wagon of activities that most homeschool families participate in.

I'm a homebody, I don't like running (and my son is too, he just didn't realize this when we pulled him out of school). After a while I decided we needed to slow it down. We have gradually pulled back over the years (my son's in 4th grade now) and we are really happy (all of us) with our pace. We participate in one weekly activity and a few field trips per year. As such, we are home the majority of the time. So we have a peaceful, relaxed home atmosphere. An atmosphere where my children have plenty of time to be children, playing and creating.

So you can see how I would think that a book about families living the harried, frenzied life would not apply to me. Boy was I wrong!

When I reached chapter six, I knew this book was for me. You see, even though I am a homebody, I have this knack for keeping myself busy. I have this need to do things (often other than housework!). In 2001 I started a candle business (justifying my busyness because I would be bringing in extra money for the household) and then in July 2007 I started a blog (this, too, was justified because I was helping others). So even though I am home most of the time, I am in fact a busy person.

What struck me in chapter six was that the busy life causes us to compromise our values and overlook needs--needs in those around us and even the needs of our children. Struck to the core! How many times do I shrug my children off and say, "not right now, I'm doing ___", or "maybe later, I'm busy."? I know I have improved in this area, but it is something I need reminded of often.

There is nothing wrong with operating a business from your home. There is nothing wrong with a ministry to others. However, when priorities get out of whack and these things take precedence over God, family, or home, they are wrong.

Since I have that knack for creating busyness for myself (I prefer to call it entrepreneurialism), I have to regularly sit down and examine my priorities and make sure I have things in proper order. This book was just the reminder I needed.

Therefore, I highly recommend this book for everyone, whether you think you need to read it or not. Perhaps you're not in any of these situations described in the book, maybe reading this book will keep you from falling into those.

There are probably other great books on reducing stress in your life and lightening your load, but this book sticks out to me because of the nuggets of wisdom included, deep truths based on Scripture. Check it out, I know you will enjoy it.

1 comment:

GoodPlans said...

Good review! The little bit I have read suggests I may need to own this one... ;-)