Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pruning Time

John 15:1-2

I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.


I am feeling this right now. It's not pleasant, but I can see in God's Word a promise--that if I submit to the pruning, I will bear more fruit. It's certainly much more fun to bear fruit. But I would rather be pruned, then cut off altogether. I have also noticed a distinct difference in this pruning than what the devil does. The devil brings thoughts of doubt, fear, condemnation, guilt, to keep us from bearing fruit. God, in His pruning, reveals areas we need to cut out, so that we can bear more fruit. It's not pleasant, but even in the midst of it, I have peace and joy. When the devil messes with you, he tries to rob your peace and joy. Those times are depressing. This is not. So, the other day, when I ran across this verse, I just knew it was God speaking directly to me, comforting me, in this unpleasantness, letting me know that this is for a season, and the best is yet to come.

No comments: