Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bibles for Children

There are a lot of great children's Bibles out there. These are the Bibles my children own.

This one was my son's first Bible.
He got it when he was one. We read him these stories over and over. Now he is nine and has passed it on to his little sister. She loves to read it at bedtime. Her favorite story is of the woman that poured the perfume on Jesus.

When our son was six, we got him the Comic Book Bible. He read this Bible through so many times, the front cover fell off! This Bible exceeds the Bible story books I had as a child. It includes the major and minor prophets, Paul's ministry, and even the book of Revelation, which is more than typical Bible story books. My son knows more about the prophets and Paul than I ever did as a child. Now when we read through the Bible as a family at dinnertime, he recognizes many things from his readings. This is exciting to me, because the more times you hear information the further it sinks in and the more wisdom you can get from it. It's just wonderful for me to see him get this exposure at this young age.

(I have NO idea why this font has insisted on being underlined!)

Last year, after my son had read through the Comic Book Bible so many times, I started thinking it was time for him to move up to the next level. I started to notice certain stories that were missing from the Comic Book Bible. It is a fabulous Bible, it just doesn't contain every single story, it would be too big for kids if it did.

We bought him the Picture Bible. It doesn't have the humor that the Comic Book Bible had, but it still has a comic book format, with frames and conversation bubbles and includes more content. So it was a good step up. If we had bought this one for him at six, I think it would have overwhelmed him and he probably wouldn't have had the interest in reading it, like he did the Comic Book Bible. But now, at nine (we bought it when he was eight), he is really enjoying it. He is almost done reading it through for the first time.

So, like I said, there are a lot of great Bibles available, but these are the ones we own and enjoy.

No comments: