Thursday, November 18, 2010

Religion

I had a little discussion with my kids the other day about world religions. It started because my son learned some things in history about the Catholic church. He had negative view of Catholism after this. Now, there are many things that the Catholic church is wrong about, but I told him we do share many core beliefs with them.


I started a little brainstorm and made this impromptu chart. I don't claim that it is 100% accurate, or all-inclusive. I believe it is a good idea to be aware of the differences between religions. The world is becoming more and more deceptive. People like Glenn Beck and Oprah talk about God and the Bible, but do you know if they believe in the same God you do? Do your own homework. I'll include some links at the bottom.


I wanted to make this into two columns, but can't figure out the spacing. My blog is so narrow anyway, it would be hard to read. So I will label them instead.


[Left column]

Christians believe in/that (includes Catholics, Protestants--Baptists, Methodists, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, and Non-Denominatioal):

Trinity
God is 3 persons in 1
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are equal
Jesus is the Son of God
Holy Spirit is a person
Virgin birth
Heaven
Hell
Salvation by grace
We become godlike (Christlike)




This does not mean that all Catholics are saved, but many are. For that matter, there will always be some in every one of these groups that are not saved, including evangelical churches. But in general, these churches hold to these core beliefs. In general, the Catholic church does push a lot of external things, like Hail Marys, going to Confession--more so than being saved by grace, but they do recognize that Jesus died on the cross to atone for our sin, that we cannot earn that. In general the Protestant churches do preach more about grace than the Catholic church, but then again, many of them are in error of keeping your salvation by works. There are errors in probably every church, but we have this common ground, of core beliefs, of things that your eternal destiny depends upon. Also, like I mentioned above, we do live in a deceptive world and I have heard lately of particular Methodists, Episcopalians, and even Evangelicals that are erring, falling away, into apostasy, and do not hold to these core beliefs anymore.


[Right column]

Cults, False Christians believe in/that (includes Jehovah's Witnesses & Mormons):

No trinity
1 God, but not 3-in-1
Jesus is not God, but a creation
Jesus is equal with Lucifer (JW)
Jesus was a man that became God (Mormons)
Holy Spirit is a force, not a person (JW)
They will become gods to rule a kingdom (Mormons)
Heaven is limited (JW)
Salvation by works
No hell (JW) (Mormons think hell is temporary)
People become gods (Mormons)




We need to realize that we do not have any common ground with Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. The lines are becoming very blurry. Mormons even call themselves Christians, but their people are urged not to trust the Bible, because if they did, they would realize how far off from Christianity they are. They hold to many of the same morals, but Christianity is more than a moral code. They talk a lot of similar talk, but when you dig, you realize they are not in some little error about a fringe belief, but have very twisted core beliefs, things that their eternal destiny hangs upon.




After I made the left and right columns above, I decided to address other various religions below.
Other World Religions:

-Judaism - 1 God, true God, waiting for their Messiah, salvation by works (more and more Jews are coming to the knowledge that Jesus is their Messiah, though, and getting saved.)
-Islam - 1 god, Allah, saved by works
-Buddhism - many gods, saved by works
-Hinduism - many gods, saved by works, reincarnation is based on how well they lived their life and they will probably reincarnate several times before they reach the highest state they are all hoping for (their equivalent of heaven).
-New Age - they are god
-Atheist - no god
-Agnostic - God is unknowable, He is far removed and not personal


I know I didn't list every possible religion, but the major ones are here at a glance. There are others, but they will fall into categories that I have already spelled out.

Notice how deception can be so subtle. The devil likes to take something from the Bible and twist it ever so. There is plenty of scriptural evidence that we are being conformed to the image of Christ, which means we are being changed (sanctification) all the time, to be more and more Christ-like. (Now, some people submit to this change more so than others. I know we can all think of examples of Christians, that are not very Christlike.) The Mormons believe that Jesus and the Father were once men and became gods, and they, too, can become gods. New Agers believe that they are part of the "divine" and they are god. Which is the truth? And why? I cannot stress how important it is to know what you believe, and why you believe it.





Resources:


Great site that explains what Mormons believe and what the Bible says. Also includes numerous testimonies of people that have left the Mormon church. The owner of this site was on the inside and came out, so he is truly knowledgable about what the Mormons believe. This man tries to reach all the Mormons he can. He spoke with Glenn Beck recently, the information is on his blog.




Blueletterbible.org has information on both Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Click here for that link.


A great book on the topic is The Handbook of Today's Religions by Josh McDowell.

9 comments:

Justine said...

Thank you for posting this! Alden and I were just talking about this, but I had very little info (just what was in my head) and we weren't able to research it right then, and subsequently forgot.

I will say that (if I have my story correct) God used 7th Day Adventists (I believe this is the same as Mormon) to lead my parents to Jesus. But maybe this is an exception and they were on their way out of the Mormon church (or maybe on their way in, but had correct teaching previously.) I'll have to ask and see if I can get the whole story.

Shannon said...

Forgot about 7th Day Adventists. I do not believe they are the same as Mormons. The Mormon church is the same as the Church of the Latter Day Saints, or LDS. 7th Day Adventists may actually be qualified as Christian, rather than cult, but I will have to look that up. I do not remember them being included in the cult section of Josh McDowell's book that I recommended.

From the little I do know of Adventists, they are vegetarian because they believe that's the way we were created to be, and you know I could go on and on on this topic. :) And I believe they worship on Saturday, as the Jews do.

Shannon said...

Well, this is going to require a bit of digging. I did find this quote -
"In the late 1950s, cult expert Walter Martin, founder of the Christian Research Institute, in collaboration with neo-evangelical Donald Barnhouse, made an extensive investigation of the teachings (doctrines) of Seventh-Day Adventism. Their purpose was to determine whether to classify SDA as part of the evangelical community, or to go along with the majority of evangelicals and treat SDAs as cult members (thereby requiring evangelicals to exercise Biblical separation). (In the 1955 edition of The Kingdom of the Cults, Martin originally did classify SDA as cultic.) Martin and Barnhouse concluded that SDA was within the bounds of Christian orthodoxy. Walter Martin, in his article in the 12/19/60 Christianity Today, said: "That Adventists should be recognized as Christians and that fellowship should be extended to them we do not deny" (p. 15).

Among those adamantly opposing that conclusion was Biblical scholar Dr. John Whitcomb, Jr., then of Grace Theological Seminary."

Chuck Missler references Walter Martin and Donald Barnhouse often. I've heard that Walter Martin is the authority on cults.

They are indeed a very legalistic group, but I believe you can be saved and trapped in legalism.

I want to know what they believe about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I don't believe you cannot deny any part of the trinity and be saved.

Reading about them reminds me of Worldwide Church of God, which is classified as a cult in Josh McDowell's book. My husband's family came out of that church and it is steeped in legalism. I think a big part of why they are classified as a cult is their belief about the Trinity.

They believe God is plural, a family of persons, not a trinity. They do not recognize the Holy Spirit, they say the HS is the power the Father uses, as a man uses electricity.

So, I will dig further in SDA, at some point.

:)

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Meant to say, "I don't believe you can deny any part of the trinity and be saved." Not cannot.

:)

Robin said...

Shannon, I am just curious where you think the Unity church fits into this scenario? I have an uncle who is a Unity minister and I am so very concerned about his salvation. I am thinking Unity fits under the cult category, just wondering what your thoughts are?

Shannon said...

Robin, I am no expert, but I have always thought of the Unity church as New Age. I did some digging here - http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/unitysch.htm

It looks like they are very far from Christian. Not sure if I would classify them as cult or just spiritist/New Ager/unbeliever. They mix all kinds of religions and seem to be similar to Christian Science. They believe the Bible is just an allegory and God is in everything and everything is part of God. Sounds a lot like Deepak Chopra. They are slippery as they will say they believe in God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit, but their definitions are far different than ours.

I would be praying for your uncle and perhaps do some digging into how to reach New Agers. Or things that solidify your Christian beliefs. Blueletterbible.org has lists of scriptures against Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses under their Study Tools tab. I think those scriptures would be very helpful to know, no matter who you're talking to, Mormon, atheist, or New Ager.

Robin said...

Thank you Shannon ... I appreciate your perspective. Changing the topic a little, I am also curious what you think of "Watchman"? My daughter (19 years old) had a recent experience while reading the Holy Bible (she is very interested in learning all she can and spends several hours a day reading and studying)...all research that we have done on this experience leads us to the topic of "Watchman", just curious what your understanding is and where you would recommend further study of the idea of "Watchman". I want to make sure she is gathering her information from sound biblical sources. I have come to respect you and your study over the past couple of months and would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Shannon said...

Robin,

Before I answer, I need a little more information as to what Watchman is. I know of the author Watchman Nee, and then there is Watchman magazine.